Friday, May 20, 2011

Elizabeth I: A Novel by Margaret George



Generally I enjoy a historical novel. I've certainly enjoyed other works by this author, but for some reason I just didn't get caught up in this one. I felt like I had walked into the middle of the story and somehow missed the back story. Names and events rang bells, but on the whole, I just couldn't get into this one. I can't say it's any fault of the author's either. I don't think I have enough knowledge of Elizabeth I's reign or the historical events surrounding it to even comment. I also don't know what part Lettice actually played but she certainly shows up in the book. I felt Elizabeth came across as rather cold for the most part, but if you are a fan of this period then this book just might be the one for you. For myself, I spent two months on this book and still was only half-way through. I'm passing it on to someone who will enjoy it much more.

No comments: