Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wings! A Novel of WWII Flygirls by Karl Friedrich



Submerge yourself in the era of WWII and firsts for women! Wings: A Novel of WWII Flygirls is just that! I truly enjoyed this story about Sally Ketchum who finds herself enrolled in the WASP program, a government sponsored program for women to learn to fly aircraft so that men were freed up for the war effort. This story is just a small example of what women had to deal with in terms of getting the right to fly an airplane and today we can be very thankful for those who blazed the trails we take so much for granted. Being a huge fan of flying and aviation in general, I loved this book! I've read many books about flight over the years, and found this one very similar in mood to those of Richard Bach. The difference was that there was less focus on Sally's relationship with the planes and flying them, and more focus on the influences in her life. The war that women waged to even have the opportunity to fly when so many were against a "skirt" in the cockpit is just a small part of the history of women's rights, but an important one. Those men who supported them and helped train them are to be commended for giving them a chance. Sally's story of dirt-poor-Texas-farmgirl being liberated and becoming strong and independent is a strong background story as well. Her love of Tex, losing him, and then being freed from her father's heavy handed influence leaves her alone in the world and considering her background, I found her actions true to form. She has guts and a natural talent for flying. Bravo! This one is definitely on my keepers list but please do get your own! I will be reading this one again and looking for more of the same.

3 comments:

NovelistGuy said...

Hello. This is Karl Friedrich, author of Wings. Thanks for the kind words about my book; and thanks for using my work and those of Richard Bach in the same sentence. Ernest K Gann and Bach have long been my heroes; their books contributed mightily to my development as a novelist. I was in the right seat of a 1947 Bonanza at twilight above the Mojave when I learned that Gann had died. It was one of my life's most poignant moments. I once wrote to Bach, thanking him for his work, and received a hand-written note in return from both he and his wife at the time, Leslie Parrish.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed my little yarn.

Karl

Neverwithoutabook said...

Thanks for your comments Karl. I haven't read any of Ernest K. Gann's books, but I've managed to find a copy of "Island in the Sky" and it's now on my TBR list!

NovelistGuy said...

Island In The Sky was an early novel (John Wayne made the movie)and Gann was still developing his style. I think it's a little weak, though interesting because it's based on an actual event. For the full dose of Gann, his style, and the glories of his life, I suggest Ernest K. Gann's Flying Circus, A Hostage To Fortune, and Black Watch: The Men Who Fly America's Secret Spy Planes. The guy literally breathed best-sellers. And his life was a never-ending adventure that included movie stars, command of some of aviation's greatest airplanes, and numerous brushes with death. I hope you come to love Gann as much as I do. Happy Reading. - Karl