Saturday, March 14, 2009

Family Plots: Love, Death & Tax Evasion by Mary Patrick Kavanaugh


I didn't quite know what to make of this book at first. I think the title and the cover are indicative of the unique and unusual sense of humor of the author. After all, included on the cover is a 'stamp' "Awarded Sixteen Rejections from Prominent NYC Publishers 2008". Rejections? Hmmm... After reading it, I'm not sure why. I found it entertaining to say the least. Possibly the rejectors didn't like the mix of fact and fiction? Mary Patrick Kavanaugh says this "Family Plots is a novel based on the facts of my life. Many events are drawn from actual experiences; however, I have collapsed time, conflated characters, invented dialogue, and rendered some fictional scenes and characters purely for dramatic impact. Because I am not the first or last writer to sensationalize the verifiable data of my personal life, I think there should be a genre recognized for this category of work. If it were up to me, I'd call it Pulp Faction." I have to agree with her. I applaud her story-telling abilities and enjoyed the quirky approach.


Mary Patrick Kavanaugh also has a website http://www.mydreamisdeadbutimnot.com/ and I have to say Kudos to Mary for not giving up!

No comments: