Saturday, December 6, 2008

Where Am I Wearing by Kelsey Timmerman


Thank you Kelsey Timmerman! Thanks for being curious enough to notice and wonder where our clothes are made and then to followup by investigating. I would think the majority of consumers never give much thought to where their clothes are produced, and less to the people who make them. I think I had some vague idea that there were big machines somewhere, mechanically churning out item after item and only being manned by a human who pressed the on and off switch. This book brings the reality into focus.


Kelsey writes with an honesty and openness about what he learns as he investigates where various items of his clothes were made. He takes us to the countries, allows us to meet some of the workers, and in doing so, we also learn a little bit about their lives and what it means to them to be working in the garment industry. We also learn a little history about the garment industry, as well as what role politics play in it all.


I think this is a book that everyone needs to read. It opens your eyes and makes you think, and it even had me checking the labels on my clothes, too! (My current label says Made in India)

2 comments:

Ania said...

I didn't request this as an ARC, and now I regret it! You're right that most of us don't think about where our clothes come from, and I thought maybe this book would make me feel bad about everything I bought, but it sounds really interesting and I'm going to have to look out for it. Thanks!

Kelsey said...

You. Are. Welcome.

Thanks for the kind review. And I'm glad that you have become a tag-watcher. If nothing else, it's a lesson in geography.